The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) is seeking public comment on the draft Nanotechnology Research Plan, “Continuing to Protect the Nanotechnology Workforce: NIOSH Nanotechnology Research Plan for 2018-2025” announced on the Federal Register on April 24, 2018. The proposed draft has five overarching strategic goals:
1. Increase understanding of new hazards and related health risks to nanomaterial workers;
2. Expand understanding of the initial hazard findings of engineered nanomaterials;
3. Support the creation of guidance materials to inform nanomaterial workers, employers, health professionals, regulatory agencies, and decision makers about hazards, risks and risk management approaches;
4. Support epidemiologic studies for nanomaterial workers including medical and exposure studies;
5. Assess and promote national adherence with risk management guidance.
The agency is seeking public comment and input to improve the research plan. Electronic or written comments may be submitted by June 25, 2018. For further information, please refer to the Federal Register posting.